If you have a garage in the front of your home, the garage door is one of the largest and most visible parts of your home. A plain door does little to add anything interesting or visually-stimulating to your home. However, trendy garage doors that increase your home's curb appeal, such as carriage and wood garage doors, can be quite expensive. Luckily for you, there are a few ways you can inexpensively change the look and feel of your garage door, while increasing your home's curb appeal.
Create Faux Windows
If you have a paneled garage door, you can easily and inexpensively create faux windows on the garage door. This is much cheaper than purchasing a new garage door with windows already in place. Follow these steps to complete this project:
- Thoroughly clean the garage door. A pressure washer can be used, as can a sponge with hot water and dish soap. Remove dirt and debris and allow the door to dry before beginning your project.
- Using painter's tape, tape along the edges of the panels in the top row of your garage door. Once that has been done, measure both the height and width of the panels. Place a piece of tape directly in the center of the panel in both a vertical and horizontal direction to create a cross shape.
- After placing the painters tape, you will have four rectangles inside of each panel. Run a piece of sandpaper over each of these rectangles to remove any debris and uneven paint from the area.
- Paint each of these rectangles using an all-surface enamel paint in black. Paint all of the rectangles on all of the panels.
- Allow the paint to dry. Repaint the rectangles. You may need two to three coats, depending on the brand of paint you use. Continue coating until you are satisfied with the intensity and darkness of the color.
- Allow the paint to dry overnight. Once completely dry, peel away the tape. You will have what appear to be faux windows on your garage door.
Install New Brackets and Handles
Another way that you can transform your garage door is by installing new brackets and handles on the garage door. Adding brackets and handles creates a door that mimics a carriage door and interest and design to your door. Currently, dark metal brackets, such as black and oil-rubbed copper, are trendy on garage doors. Simply pick out the brackets and handle you like, and use an electric drill to drill them into place. All in all, this project should take less than an hour to complete.
Stain the Door
The last way you can increase your garage door's curb appeal is by staining the garage door. A white aluminum garage door can be stained with a brown stain to transform the door into a faux wood garage door. Follow these steps to complete this project:
- Clean the door completely. Any dirt or debris left behind can create imperfections in the staining process so take your time and clean thoroughly.
- Allow the garage door to dry completely.
- Purchase a gel wood stain. There are many colors that you can select from based on your personal preferences. Currently, mahogany and dark brown colors are trendy. Select the color that appeals to you and fits in with the style and color of your home.
- Dip a paint brush in the mixture and begin painting your door. Be sure not to paint the door too thick, or the variations in the stain may not appear. You want to coat the door in a light layer of the stain.
- Allow the stain to dry. If desired, re-coat the door to achieve a richer color.
If your garage door is white and boring, it does little to enhance the look of your door. And unfortunately, buying a new garage door can be expensive. Luckily, you don't have to spend a ton to update your garage door and add curb appeal. Painting faux windows, adding hardware or staining the door are all great ways to get a high end garage door look at a fraction of the price of a new door.
Click here for more information on garage doors.